Impact On Business
A malicious authenticated attacker, with privileges of SAP SMD Agent access, could abuse some SAP Host Control functions' lack of sanitization, in order to escalate its privileges and execute commands as root/system user.
Affected Components Description
The SAP Host Agent is an agent which allows controlling and monitoring SAP and non-SAP instances.
- SAPHOSTAGENT 7.21 SP045 and lower
(Check SAP Note #2902645 for detailed information on affected releases)
Some processes part of the SAP Host Agent run as root. This product is usually installed automatically when a new SAP system is installed. In order to expose its functionalities, the SAP Host Agent provides a SOAP interface, on ports 1128 or 1129 (TLS). Every function exposed by this service requires high privileges.
If an attacker gets privileges of SAP SMD Agent OS user , it will be able to interact with the Host Agents’ exposed SOAP interface, allowing them to execute any functionality. Because of a lack of sanitization of certain parameters, several exposed functions were vulnerable to OS command injection. As some of these functions are executed with root/system privileges, it is possible to perform a local privilege escalation from SAP SMD Agent user to root/system.
SAP has released SAP Note #2902645 which provides patched versions of the affected components.
The patches can be downloaded from: https://service.sap.com/sap/support/notes/2902645.
Onapsis strongly recommends SAP customers to download the related security fixes and apply them to the affected components in order to reduce business risks.
- 12/09/2019: Onapsis provides details to SAP
- 01/12/2020: SAP provides update: "Vulnerability in progress".
- 02/10/2020: SAP provides update: "Vulnerability in progress".
- 03/09/2020: SAP Provides update: "Vulnerability In progress".
- 04/13/2020: SAP releases SAP Security note addressing the issue.
- Onapsis Blog Post: https://onapsis.com/es/blog/sap-security-notes-april-2020
- CVE Mitre: https://cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cvename.cgi?name=CVE-2020-6234
- Vendor Patch:
- Black Hat 2020 presentation (white paper, slides and video): https://www.blackhat.com/us-20/briefings/schedule/#an-unauthenticated-journey-to-root-pwning-your-companys-enterprise-software-servers-19964
Public Release Date: 03/19/2021
Security Advisory ID: ONAPSIS-2021-0002
Vulnerability Submission ID: 802, 803, 804.
Researcher(s): Pablo Artuso, Yvan Genuer
- Vendor: SAP
- Vulnerability Class: |LS|CWE-78|RS| Improper Neutralization of Special Elements in an OS Command
- CVSS v3 score: 7.2 (AV:N/AC:L/PR:H/UI:N/S:C/C:H/I:H/A:H)
- Severity: High
- CVE: CVE-2020-6234
- Vendor patch Information: SAP Security Note #2902645
ABOUT OUR RESEARCH LABS
Onapsis Research Labs provides the industry analysis of key security issues that impact mission-critical systems and applications.
Delivering frequent and timely security and compliance advisories with associated risk levels, Onapsis Research Labs combine in-depth knowledge and experience to deliver technical and business-context with sound security judgment to the broader information security community.
Find all reported vulnerabilities at https://github.com/Onapsis/vulnerability_advisories
This advisory is licensed under a Creative Commons 4.0 BY-ND International License