Impact On Business
A malicious unauthenticated user could abuse the lack of authentication check on a particular web service exposed by default in SAP Netweaver JAVA stack, allowing them to fully compromise the targeted system.
Affected Components Description
LM CONFIGURATION WIZARD is a part of SAP NetWeaver JAVA which is a foundational layer used by several SAP products, such as:
- SAP Enterprise portal
- SAP Solution Manager
- SAP PI/PO
- SAP Landscape Manager
- among others.
All products running on top of SAP JAVA NetWeaver will be affected by this vulnerability.
- LM CONFIGURATION WIZARD 7.30 SP019 Patch 0000
- LM CONFIGURATION WIZARD 7.30 SP020 Patch 0000
- LM CONFIGURATION WIZARD 7.31 SP023 Patch 0000
- LM CONFIGURATION WIZARD 7.31 SP024 Patch 0000
- LM CONFIGURATION WIZARD 7.31 SP025 Patch 0000
- LM CONFIGURATION WIZARD 7.31 SP026 Patch 0000
- LM CONFIGURATION WIZARD 7.40 SP018 Patch 0000
- LM CONFIGURATION WIZARD 7.40 SP019 Patch 0000
- LM CONFIGURATION WIZARD 7.40 SP020 Patch 0000
- LM CONFIGURATION WIZARD 7.40 SP021 Patch 0000
- LM CONFIGURATION WIZARD 7.50 SP012 Patch 0001 and lower
- LM CONFIGURATION WIZARD 7.50 SP013 Patch 0002 and lower
- LM CONFIGURATION WIZARD 7.50 SP014 Patch 0001 and lower
- LM CONFIGURATION WIZARD 7.50 SP015 Patch 0001 and lower
- LM CONFIGURATION WIZARD 7.50 SP016 Patch 0001 and lower
- LM CONFIGURATION WIZARD 7.50 SP017 Patch 0001 and lower
- LM CONFIGURATION WIZARD 7.50 SP018 Patch 0000
(Check SAP Note #2934135 for detailed information on affected releases)
The CTCWebService SOAP endpoint doesn't require user authentication in order to interact with it. The functionality exposed by this Web Service allows users to perform several administration tasks. As no authentication is required, any malicious actor with HTTP access to the service could abuse these functionalities in order to fully compromise the targeted system. Some examples of what could be achieved:
- Admin user creation.
- Arbitrary assignment of authorizations to a user.
- Information disclosure.
SAP has released SAP Note 2934135 which provides patched versions of the affected components.
The patches can be downloaded from https://service.sap.com/sap/support/notes/2934135.
Onapsis strongly recommends SAP customers to download the related security fixes and apply them to the affected components in order to reduce business risks.
- 05/27/2020: Onapsis sends details to SAP.
- 06/01/2020: SAP confirms having the information of vulnerability.
- 06/08/2020: SAP provides update: "In progress".
- 07/04/2020: SAP releases patch.
- Onapsis blogpost: https://onapsis.com/blog/sap-security-notes-july-2020-recon
- Onapsis Threat report: https://onapsis.com/recon-sap-cyber-security-vulnerability
- Onapsis IOC Tool: https://github.com/Onapsis/CVE-2020-6287_RECON-scanner
- US-CERT CISA Alert: https://us-cert.cisa.gov/ncas/alerts/aa20-195a
- CVE Mitre: https://cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cvename.cgi?name=CVE-2020-6287
- Vendor Patch: https://launchpad.support.sap.com/#/notes/2934135
- Vendor RECON FAQ: https://launchpad.support.sap.com/#/notes/2948106
- Vendor RECON Information: https://launchpad.support.sap.com/#/notes/2947895
- Public Release Date: 03/19/2021
- Security Advisory ID: ONAPSIS-2021-0003
- Vulnerability Submission ID: 830
- Researcher(s): Pablo Artuso
- Vendor: SAP
- Vulnerability Class:|LS|CWE-434|RS| Unrestricted Upload of File with Dangerous Type
- CVSS v3 score: 10.0 (AV:N/AC:L/PR:N/UI:N/S:C/C:H/I:H/A:H)
- Severity: Critical
- CVE: CVE-2020-6287
- Vendor patch Information: SAP Security Note #2934135
ABOUT OUR RESEARCH LABS
Onapsis Research Labs provides the industry analysis of key security issues that impact mission-critical systems and applications.
Delivering frequent and timely security and compliance advisories with associated risk levels, Onapsis Research Labs combine in-depth knowledge and experience to deliver technical and business-context with sound security judgment to the broader information security community.
Find all reported vulnerabilities at https://github.com/Onapsis/vulnerability_advisories
This advisory is licensed under a Creative Commons 4.0 BY-ND International License