Impact On Business
A malicious authenticated attacker could abuse some particular services exposed by the SAP JAVA Netweaver allowing them to execute commands in the underlying operating system.
Affected Components Description
SAP NetWeaver JAVA is a foundational layer which is used by several SAP products, such as:
- SAP Enterprise portal
- SAP Solution Manager
- SAP PI/PO
- SAP Landscape Manager
- among others.
Due to the vulnerable components residing in this "foundational layer", all products running on top of SAP JAVA NetWeaver will be affected by this vulnerability.
- SAP Netweaver JAVA version 7.30 - 7.50
(Check SAP Note #2979062 for detailed information on affected releases)
A particular part (UDDI SERVER) of the SAP JAVA Netweaver layer, exposes a functionality which allows authenticated attackers to upload resources. In particular, at least the NWA_SUPERADMIN privileges are needed to be able to use the upload process. Due to lack of controls, these files are not checked and therefore any type of files could be uploaded, resulting in the possibility of executing commands in the underlying OS.
SAP has released SAP Note #2979062 which provides patched versions of the affected components.
The patches can be downloaded from: https://service.sap.com/sap/support/notes/2979062.
Onapsis strongly recommends SAP customers to download the related security fixes and apply them to the affected components in order to reduce business risks.
- 05/10/2020: Onapsis sends details to SAP
- 05/10/2020: SAP provides internal ID’s.
- 12/10/2020: SAP confirms vulnerability and assigns CVSSv3 score of 9.1 (NLHN|C|HHH)
- 10/11/2020: SAP releases patch.
- Onapsis Blog Post: https://onapsis.com/blog/sap-security-notes-november-2020
- CVE Mitre: https://cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cvename.cgi?name=CVE-2020-26820
- Vendor Patch: https://launchpad.support.sap.com/#/notes/2979062
- Public Release Date: 03/19/2021
- Security Advisory ID: ONAPSIS-2021-0004
- Vulnerability Submission ID: 847
- Researcher(s): Pablo Artuso
- Vendor: SAP
- Vulnerability Class: |LS|CWE-434|RS| Unrestricted Upload of File with Dangerous Type
- CVSS v3 score: 9.1 (AV:N/AC:L/PR:H/UI:N/S:C/C:H/I:H/A:H)
- Severity: Critical
- CVE: CVE-2020-26820
- Vendor patch Information: SAP Security Note #2979062
ABOUT OUR RESEARCH LABS
Onapsis Research Labs provides the industry analysis of key security issues that impact mission-critical systems and applications.
Delivering frequent and timely security and compliance advisories with associated risk levels, Onapsis Research Labs combine in-depth knowledge and experience to deliver technical and business-context with sound security judgment to the broader information security community.
Find all reported vulnerabilities at https://github.com/Onapsis/vulnerability_advisories
This advisory is licensed under a Creative Commons 4.0 BY-ND International License