Impact On Business
Any authenticated user of the Solution Manager is able to craft/ upload and execute EEM scripts on the SMDAgents affecting its Integrity, Confidentiality and Availability.
Affected Components Description
SAP SolMan 7.2 introduces a bunch of web services which run on top of the SAP Java NetWeaver stack. The affected versions have a vulnerable web service exposed.
- Solman 7.20
- Solman Java Stack NW 7.5
- LM-SERVICE: 1000.7.20.9.14.20200731160700
(Check SAP Note #2983204 for detailed information on affected releases)
The main objective of the End-user Enterprise Monitoring (EEM) app is to upload scripts which will mimic user actions in order to be able to automatically perform different kinds of tests.
This process is intended to be carried out by SAP administrators who want to monitor their instances. However, due to a lack of authorization check, any valid user from the Solution Manager is able to fully utilize this application.
In other words, any valid user is able to craft its own script, upload it and force its execution by any SMD Agent. Some tasks that can be carried out are:
- Execution of arbitrary HTTP requests from the SMD Agent.
- Disclosure of sensitive content.
- Resource consumption of specific services.
SAP has released SAP Note #2983204 which provides patched versions of the affected components.
The patches can be downloaded from https://launchpad.support.sap.com/#/notes/2983204.
Onapsis strongly recommends SAP customers to download the related security fixes and apply them to the affected components in order to reduce business risks.
- 10/05/2020 - Onapsis sends details to SAP
- 10/05/2020 - SAP provides tracking id.
- 10/12/2020 - SAP provides update: "Fix in progress"
- 11/09/2020 - SAP provides update: "In process"
- 11/30/2020 - SAP proposes to split the original submission into two different vulnerabilities.
- 12/02/2020 - Onapsis agrees to split the submission.
- 12/08/2020 - SAP releases note.
- Onapsis Blog Post:
- CVE Mitre:
- Vendor Patch:
- Public Release Date: 06/14/2021
- Security Advisory ID: ONAPSIS-2021-0011
- Vulnerability Submission ID: 846
- Researcher(s): Pablo Artuso, Gonzalo Roisman
- Vendor: SAP
- Vulnerability Class: |LS|CWE-862|RS| Missing Authorization
- CVSS v3 score: 7.6 AV:N/AC:L/PR:L/UI:N/S:U/C:H/I:L/A:L
- Severity: High
- CVE: CVE-2020-26830
- Vendor patch Information: SAP Security Note 2983204
ABOUT OUR RESEARCH LABS
Onapsis Research Labs provides the industry analysis of key security issues that impact mission-critical systems and applications.
Delivering frequent and timely security and compliance advisories with associated risk levels, Onapsis Research Labs combine in-depth knowledge
and experience to deliver technical and business-context with sound security judgment to the broader information security community.
Find all reported vulnerabilities at https://github.com/Onapsis/vulnerability_advisories
This advisory is licensed under a Creative Commons 4.0 BY-ND International License