Impact On Business
A malicious unauthenticated user could abuse the lack of authentication check on SAP Java P2P cluster communication, in order to connect to the respective TCP ports and perform different privileged actions, such as:
- Installing new trusted SSO providers
- Changing database connection parameters
- Gaining access to configuration information
- Modify network configurations and potentially affect internal networks
Affected Components Description
SAP Netweaver JAVA version 7.10 - 7.50
(Check SAP Note #2974774 for detailed information on affected releases)
The Cluster Manager introduced in SAP AS Java since 7.10, listens by default on all interfaces. The TCP port where the CM listens is defined, as several SAP products, by a port pattern. In this case the following structure defined the port: 50000+100*<instance_number>+20+<node>*5
Where <instance_numbers> refers to the JAVA instance number of the system and <node> the node number within the custer.
Due to several missing authentication checks, a threat actor that is able to reach the Cluster Manager TCP port, could execute highly privileged actions allowing them to gain SAP system administrator access or perform denial of service without authentication among others.
SAP has released SAP Note #2974774 which provides patched versions of the affected components.
The patches can be downloaded from https://launchpad.support.sap.com/#/notes/2974774.
Onapsis strongly recommends SAP customers to download the related security fixes and apply them to the affected components in order to reduce business risks.
- 08/26/2020: Onapsis provides vulnerability details to SAP
- 08/26/2020: SAP provides internal tracking number
- 10/12/2020: SAP provides update: Vulnerability confirmed – fix in progress
- 12/08/2020: SAP releases SAP Note fixing the issue.
Onapsis Blog Post: https://onapsis.com/blog/sap-security-notes-december-2020
CVE Mitre: https://cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cvename.cgi?name=CVE-2020-26829
Vendor Patch: https://launchpad.support.sap.com/#/notes/2974774
- Public Release Date: 06/14/2021
- Security Advisory ID: ONAPSIS-2021-0013
- Vulnerability Submission ID: 838, 839, 840, 844
- Researcher(s): Ignacio Favro
- Vendor: SAP
- Vulnerability Class: |LS|CWE-306|RS| Missing Authentication for Critical Function
- CVSS v3 score: 10.0 (AV:N/AC:L/PR:N/UI:N/S:C/C:H/I:H/A:H)
- Severity: Critical
- CVE: CVE-2020-26829
- Vendor patch Information: SAP Security Note 2974774
ABOUT OUR RESEARCH LABS
Onapsis Research Labs provides the industry analysis of key security issues that impact mission-critical systems and applications.
Delivering frequent and timely security and compliance advisories with associated risk levels, Onapsis Research Labs combine in-depth knowledge
and experience to deliver technical and business-context with sound security judgment to the broader information security community.
Find all reported vulnerabilities at https://github.com/Onapsis/vulnerability_advisories
This advisory is licensed under a Creative Commons 4.0 BY-ND International License